The founder of cult fashion blog Chapter Friday shares her tips on modern event dressing.
As a professional fashion blogger and former editor at ELLE Netherlands, Yara Michels knows a thing or two about style. “It’s such an emotional thing” she says; “I’m quite nonchalant in my approach. I don’t like it when outfits are too matchy or perfect. I like something unexpected.” Be it a summer wedding, a garden party or date night, who better than Yara to teach us how to navigate the summer party season in style? “People tend to dress down nowadays but I like to use an event as an opportunity to dress up. I don’t like to look too overthought or over styled but I always try to be playful in the way I put things together.”
YARA’S RULES FOR EVENT DRESSING
1) If it’s a wedding, you don’t want to wear white! Always look at the invitation and ask yourself “Are there any restrictions, is there a dress code?”
2) Dress up and play around. I always like to go for something a little more playful and dressy.
3) Be comfortable in what you’re wearing. If you exude confidence and happiness, it doesn’t really matter what you’re wearing.
4) Always add something new to avoid wearing the same look twice.
5) Go for a bright colour or an unexpected pattern. It’s a great conversation starter and a nice way to connect with people.
It’s always cool and sexy to see a woman wearing something a bit more masculine for date night. The draped top is feminine and adds softness while the side stripe trousers have a cool sporty touch which is on trend this season. The mixture of feminine and masculine works on everyone.
An unexpected pop of colour is perfect for a garden party. You can dress this maxi up or down, add a jacket for dinner or sweep your hair up and pair it with heels for night. It’s the perfect dress if you don’t know where the evening is going to lead you.
This dress features really delicate lace detailing which is super romantic and perfect for a wedding. It focuses on the waist so it’s really flattering on all shapes; you can eat as many cakes as you want! The pleated skirt moves with your body, it’s great for dancing!